Staff Geospatial Data Engineer
“Health for all and Hunger for none” is our mission at Bayer. Every day, we are privileged to work on purposeful cutting-edge projects to bring our mission to life. Join us at Bayer to have a career that you can put your passion into practice and make an impact using Science for a better life.
For our newly established IT Hub, we are looking for:
Digital HUB Staff Geospatial Data Engineer
You will be responsible for:
- Participate in evaluation of new geospatial technologies, like GeoTrellis or GCP BigQuery, or new languages, like Go or React, including POCs.
- Implement specific geospatial data solutions according to design documentation using a variety of tools and programming languages, like Kafka, SQL and non-SQL databases, Scala, Go etc., and following team’s established processes and methodologies, like SCRUM or Kanban.
- Understand business needs and processes as they relate to IT solutions through partnering with Product Managers and business
- Participate in design sessions with Enterprise and Hub Data Stewards, Engineering teams, Data Scientists, Product Managers, business and IT stakeholders, that result in design documentation for geospatial data processing, storage, cleansing, publishing, and delivery solutions (including IoT solutions to stream data from sensors globally).
- Desing and implement solutions based on imagery, field observation and environmental layers to fulfi the needs of a modern digital farming platform.
- Collaborate with other data engineers and data stewards within the team and across the teams
- Represent the team at various cross team meetings and events
- Create and maintain code documentation
We would expect from you:
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience engineering data intensive software using streaming, resource based design concepts and OGC formats (WMS/WFS, others)
- Professional geospatial software engineering experience
- Minimum of 3-years of experience with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) such as GeoTrellis/Geoserver/GeoMesa/Rasterio, Google Maps, MapBox, or CartoDB.
- 2 years of experience with GDAL/QGIS and basic mapping JS libraries such as Open Layers.
- Experience processing both vector and raster data formats such as shp., GeoJSON, GeoHash, GeoTiff, NetCDF, PNG, JPG and others
- Extensive knowledge in different programming or scripting languages like Java, Linux, C++, PHP, Ruby, Python and/or R.
- Proficiency in working with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, etc. and geospatial libraries such as GDAL
- Experience working with geospatial no-SQL data stores such as Apache Accumulo
- Proven experience modeling large datasets in distributed databases such as Apache Cassandra
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Desired experience with: Agriculture, life sciences, bioinformatics, biochemistry, genetics, biology, or a related disciplines
- Platform-as-a-Service software such as Cloud Foundry or Kubernetes
- Stream processing, e.g. Kafka, Spark Streaming, Akka, etc.
- Machine learning or other data science practices
In the exchange we will offer you:
- Purposeful work: You will work on various innovative projects that will help farmers in their everyday work, fulfilling our mission: Hunger for None
- Remote work also after the pandemic period
- Learning and development: We offer generous allowances for conferences and trainings. You will also have personal development dialogues, with an international career path.
- Special family support: Bayer is a family friendly company. Our offices are equipped with mother & baby rooms.
- Work-life balance: We offer flexible working hours and extensive home-office possibilities.
- International, inclusive & open working environment: You will collaborate with our diverse teams all over the world from the different areas and domains in an inclusive and supportive environment
- Benefits and remuneration: We offer attractive salaries and benefits packages that includes pension plan, private medical care- VIP package with a full-time employment contract
Our inclusive culture at Bayer:
- Bayer is an equal opportunity employer. We care about inclusion in terms of gender, age, race, skin color, nationality, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, background, physical or mental disabilities and on every other grounds. Applying for our position, we assure you that we will assess your application solely on the basis of your competencies.