Doctor – 2 Positions
Work location: Xekong Power Plant Co.,ltd (XPPL), Kaleum District, Xekong Province, Lao P.D.R.
Working day: 45 days, off: 8 days including travelling days (9 hours/day).
Doctors are responsible for their patients' well-being in site of Xekong Power Plant Co.,ltd (XPPL); this occupation is more demanding than most. In addition to having a comprehensive knowledge of medicine, they need to be able to communicate their findings to patients who typically do not possess the same knowledge. They work with people when they are at their most vulnerable and this requires empathy in addition to the required technical knowledge.
- Assess symptoms
- Diagnose conditions
- Prescribe and administer treatment
- Provide follow-up care of patients in site, refer them to other providers, and interpret their laboratory results
- Collaborate with physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and other health professionals
- Prescribe medication
- Stay current on medical technology and research
- Able to work on-site and travel to other sites flexibly.
- Education: Prospective doctors need to be accepted to an accredited medical school which typically requires completing an undergraduate pre-med program. That includes taking significant coursework in biology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry, and general science. Medical school is a four-year program. The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredits medical school programs that grant an M.D. degree.4 Osteopathic medical school programs (those that confer a D.O. degree) receive accreditation from the American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA).5
- Training: Medical school is followed by a residency training program that typically lasts anywhere from three to seven years, depending on specialty.6
- Licensing: Doctors need a license from a state medical or osteopathic board to practice in the U.S. Requirements vary by state and can be found at the Federation of State Medical Boards website.7 While requirements vary, all M.D.s must pass the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and D.O.s must pass the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX-USA).6