- Legal Counsellor – 1 position base in Head Quarter, Vientiane Capital, and Working day: Mon-Fri (8 hours/day).
Duty Description: Provides full legal services to one or more departments or operating units. Has an ongoing relationship and accountability for the unit being served? This is an operational specialist, but not usually a top legal expert in the organization. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving problems of recognized complexity and facts that are occasionally in question, for which considerable legal judgment, experience, and independent reasoning are needed. Typically requires five to eight years of experience and the ability to demonstrate competence in applying basic and high legal skills consistent with departmental practices.
- Works closely with senior management to evaluate legal impact of major decisions where applicable law, regulations or facts of the case are unclear, controversial or conflicting.
- Counsels’ management whenever legally unsound decisions or plans are being made or when changes in the law occur.
- Writes legal opinions that sometimes require extensive research of statutes, regulations or court decisions in complex areas of the law.
- Prepares defense positions engaging outside counsel as required. Litigations usually involve complex or difficult issues that require a high degree of original and constructive legal effort as they are resolved. Recommends that cases be tried or settled.
- Has increasing contact with clients to receive work that can be handled without supervision.
- Continues usual lawyer's functions of research, preparing legal documents, negotiating with outside parties, rendering opinions, consulting with and advising clients, and representing the company in dealing with others.
- Explains problems, ideas, and concepts to junior attorneys that are to be incorporated into work assignments.
- Assists in court trials and recommends whether a case should be tried or settled.
- Prepares memoranda, initial drafts, and final drafts of legal documents.
- Bachelor Degree in law
- At least 5-7 years’ experience legal counseling
- Lawyer certificate would be a plus
- Competency in personal computer applications including Excel and Word
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proficient in speaking, writing and understanding English.